Fillial affection, or, A trip to Gretna Green [graphic].
- Fillial affection, or, A trip to Gretna Green [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Trip to Gretna Green
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- Copyright Date
- [December 1785]
- Publication Place
- "An eloping couple drive headlong in a coach and four (right to left) pursued by an angry father on a galloping horse who shakes his whip at them. He is followed by three grooms on horseback. The man leans from the off window of the coach, the lady from the near window; both aim pistols at the father who is close behind them. Two postilions ride the near horses. A signpost (right) points 'To Gretna Green'. A group of trees and a cloud of dust form the background."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker and publication date from Grego.
Temporary local subject terms: Vehicles: coach -- Elopements -- Pursuit of elopers -- Guns: pistols -- Postillions -- Signs: sign posts.
Title etched below item.
- 1 print : aquatint & etching, on wove paper ; sheet 30 x 46 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 6861 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 171
- Orbis Record