Courtship in high life [graphic] ; Courtship in low life / H. Wigstead invt. ; Saml. Alken fecit.
- Courtship in high life [graphic] ; Courtship in low life / H. Wigstead invt. ; Saml. Alken fecit.
- Alternative Title
- Courtship in low life.
- Alken, Samuel, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1790 March 18
- Copyright Date
- [18 March 1790]
- Publication Place
- S. W. Fores, N. 3 Piccadilly
- "[Left image] The Prince of Wales (right), wearing his star, kneels at the feet of a lady (left), his right hand holds her left hand, his left hand is on his breast. The lady wears a large feathered hat and has some resemblance to the Duchess of Devonshire, cf. BMSat 6263, &c, none to Mrs. Fitzherbert. [Right image] A sailor with a wooden leg and a good-looking young woman of meretricious appearance sit side by side on a barrel; he pours wine into a glass."--British Museum online catalogue, description of an earlier state of similar composition.
Also attributed to Rowlandson by Grego and the British Museum catalogue.
Cf. Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 170-1.
Reissue, with new publication line, of a print originally issued 15 December 1785. Cf. Nos. 6870, and 6871 in Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6.
Titles etched below images.
Two images on one plate, each individually titled.
- 1 print : etching and aquatint on laid paper, hand-colored ; sheet 26.4 x 37.1 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record