- City courtship.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n50022330
- Published / Created
- Copyright Date
- [1 January 1786]
- Publication Place
- S. W. Fores, at the Caracature Warehouse, No. 3 Piccadilly
- "A young couple sit side by side taking tea; the hostess, probably the mother of the young woman, is seated at a small rectangular table filling a tea-pot from an urn. A footman holds a salver to a man who helps himself to sugar, probably the father of the younger man. He sits on the right of his host, a gouty invalid in dressing-gown and nightcap, who is seated in an armchair on the extreme right. A dog sits beside the tea-table."--British Museum online catalogue.
Date '1785' in lower right corner of image.
It is suggested that this print is an imitation of Rowlandson in the British Museum catalogue, but Grego indicates that it is by Rowlandson.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching, hand-colored ; plate mark 21.4 x 31 cm, on sheet 23.6 x 35 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1786.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Fores, S. W., publisher. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n97860707
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 7094
Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 171
- Orbis Record