Botheration [graphic] / T. Rowlandson delt. ; S. Alken fect.
- Botheration [graphic] / T. Rowlandson delt. ; S. Alken fect.
- Alken, Samuel, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1793 December 17
- Copyright Date
- [17 October 1793]
- Publication Place
- S. W. Fores, N. 3 Piccadilly
- "Five elderly barristers are grouped round an oblong table on which are writing-materials; all wear large tie-wigs. The client sits 'chapeau-bras', hands on knees, in an arm-chair (left), listening with gaping mouth and stupidly eager expression. He appears to be a boorish country gentleman in London dress. The counsel beside him reads from a large document: 'Know all men by these presents'. Another also reads. Two others watch and listen with cynical intentness. The fifth (right), an aged man wearing gauntlet gloves, sits with closed eyes in an arm-chair facing the client. On the wall are pinned legal notices: 'Court of Kings Bench Dn Common Pleas ... [&c.]'. Heavy folios lie open on the floor."--British Museum online catalogue.
Imprint continues: ... where may be had all Rowlandson's works.
Reissue of a plate published by W. Hunter on 21 December 1785. Cf. Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 173.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching and aquatint on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 30.2 x 40.4 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8393 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 317
- Orbis Record