Private amusement [graphic].
- Private amusement [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, artist. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n50022330
- Published / Created
- 1786 January 1
- Copyright Date
- [1 January 1786]
- Publication Place
- S. W. Fores, at the Caracature Warehouse, No. 3 Piccadilly
- Gamblers with expressions of anxiety and despair sit or stand around an octagon-shaped table. One man slumps in his chair, asleep and with his purse empty. One man resembles Captain Topham; others may be caricatures as well. In the center of the table is a circular roulette mechanism with the letters E and O for even and odd.
Artist attribution from British Museum catalogue.
Reissue of an earlier state dated 1781, with a different title. Cf. British Museum catalogue, no. 5928.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching and engraving on laid paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 21.5 x 25 cm, on sheet 23 x 27 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1781.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Fores, S. W., publisher. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n97860707
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 7066
Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 180
- Orbis Record