Charlotte at the grave of Werter [graphic].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Charlotte at the grave of Werter [graphic].
- Charlotte at the grave of Werter [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Charlotte at the grave of Werther
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Fores, S. W., publisher.
Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von,--1749-1832.--Werther--Parodies, imitations, etc.
- Published / Created
- 1786 January 1
- Copyright Date
- [1 January 1786?]
- Publication Place
- S. W. Fores, at the Caracature Warehouse, No. 3 Piccadilly
"Satire on the taste for Goethe; a woman kneels wailing, hands clasped, over a grave, beneath a wall topped with a skull and cross-bones; in the square behind, a woman hawks sheets with 'The Best Dying Speech of Werter'."--British Museum online catalogue.
British Museum online catalogue suggests 1788 as the year of publication. See registration no.: 1948,0214.592.
Last digit of publication date effaced; year of publication from unverified data in local card catalog record.
Not in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching & engraving with stipple on laid paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 23.3 x 23.7 cm, on sheet 23.3 x 26.8 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)