Box lobby loungers [graphic] / designd. by H. Wigstead ; etch'd by T. Rowlandson.
- Box lobby loungers [graphic] / designd. by H. Wigstead ; etch'd by T. Rowlandson.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- [1786 January 5]
- Copyright Date
- [5 January 1786]
- Publication Place
- "A crowded scene in a bare room giving access to the theatre, which is seen through two open doors (right), each showing two boxes, and a section of gallery above, filled with spectators. Courtesans and ladies are being inspected and addressed by the loungers. The centre figure is George Hanger in profile to the left, his club under his arm, arms folded, staring at a bold and handsome girl who stands with another pretty young woman. A man in deep shadow seizes Hanger's bunch of seals. Two elderly men address a fat bawd who holds a basket of fruit and playbills; a coin is placed in her hand. A misshapen elderly beau (not, as Grego suggests, Sir L. Skeffington, b. 1771), looking through a quizzing-glass, steps on an irate lady's dress (right). On the wall is a large play-bill: 'Theatre Royal Covent Garden \ Way of the World \ Who's the Dupe'. The room is lit from bracket lamps high on the right wall, diagonal shadows are thrown across the room, some of the figures are brilliantly lit, others in shadow."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching, stipple engraving, and aquatint on wove paper ; sheet 42.3 x 58.9 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1786.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Hanger, George,--1751?-1824--Caricatures and cartoons.
Smith, John Raphael, 1752-1812, publisher.
Wigstead, Henry, artist.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 8254 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, pages 180-82
- Orbis Record