The branded bully, or, The ass strip'd of the lions skin [graphic] / designd. by Gobbo and executed by Hicko.
- The branded bully, or, The ass strip'd of the lions skin [graphic] / designd. by Gobbo and executed by Hicko.
- Alternative Title
- Ass strip'd of the lions skin, Ass stripped of the lions skin, and Box lobby hero
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- Copyright Date
- Publication Place
- "A crowd of eleven amused spectators watches the punishment of a bully, a tall man standing in profile to the left. A much shorter man, fashionably dressed, his arms folded, spits in his face. A man (right) pulls his long queue and kicks him. A fashionably dressed young woman (left) derisively holds out a smelling-bottle towards him; a stout woman holding a basket of fruit offers him one of her oranges. A dog befouls his leg. On each side a laughing man watches the attack through an eye-glass. On the wall is print of an ass wearing a lion's skin inscribed 'The Old Fable Verified'."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker and date from Grego.
Title etched below image; alternative title etched above image: A box lobby hero.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper, hand-colored ; sheet 26.6 x 34.3 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 7064 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, pages 190-1
- Orbis Record