The journalist [graphic] : with a view of Auckinleck, or the land of stones.
- The journalist [graphic] : with a view of Auckinleck, or the land of stones.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n50022330
- Published / Created
- 1786 May 15
- Copyright Date
- [15 May 1786]
- Publication Place
- E. Jackson, No. 14 Marylebone Street, Golden Square
- "Boswell stands on the stony shore of a loch; on the right is a small stone hut; in the background are rocky mountains. He stands with legs astride, holding out a roll of paper inscribed 'Journal'; his left hand is on his hip, and tied to his arm in the guise of a shield or target is a large bundle of manuscripts: 'Materials for the Life of Saml Johnson L.L.D.' He is dressed as in BMSat 7031 with the addition of a tartan plaid; a feather takes the place of the bells in his cap. From his pocket protrudes 'Ogden on Prayer' (see BMSat 7031). His plaid and wig are blown by the wind and he glares defiantly to the right ... "--British Museum online catalogue.
Four lines of verse below title: "I am, I flatter myself compleatly a Citizen of the World -- In my travels, through Holland, Germany ..." Vide Journal p. 16.
One in a series of twenty plates by Rowlandson after S. Collings. See British Museum catalogue v. 6, page 345.
Plate from: Picturesque beauties of Boswell, Part the First. [London] : [E. Jackson], 
Temporary local subject terms: Auchinleck -- Scottish attire -- Ogden on prayer -- Stone hut -- Tartan.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching with stipple on wove paper ; sheet 25.5 x 28 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1786.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Boswell, James,--1740-1795.--Journal of a tour to the Hebrides with Samuel Johnson, LL.D.--Illustrations.
Boswell, James,--1740-1795--Caricatures and cartoons.
Collings, Samuel, artist. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n77006064
Jackson, Elizabeth, fl. 1785-1797, publisher.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 7032 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 193
- Orbis Record