Revising for the second edition [graphic].
- Revising for the second edition [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1786 June 15
- Copyright Date
- [15 June 1786]
- Publication Place
- E. Jackson, No. 14 Mary bone Street, Golden Square
- "A laird in Highland dress (left) seizes Boswell by the throat. The latter is seated at his writing-table, holding up his hands in supplication. His 'Journal' is open at pp. '168' and '169'. The laird, Sir Alexander Macdonald, points with his cane at p. 169; torn-out pages lie on the floor, one is '165', another '167'. On the wall of the bare, boarded room are (left) 'A Map of Skye' showing 'Armidale' and (right) 'View [of] Auchenleck, the Seat of' (name obscured by Boswell's cap). Boswell is dressed as in BMSat 7031, &c, his pen is in the inkpot which stands on the table, its ribbon hanging from it."--British Museum online catalogue.
One in a series of twenty plates by Rowlandson after S. Collings. See British Museum catalogue, v. 6, page 345.
Plate from: Picturesque beauties of Boswell, Part the Second. [London] : [E. Jackson], 
Temporary local subject terms: Scots cap -- Waiter -- Lantern -- Gothic niches.
Title etched below image.
Two lines of verse below title: "Having found on a revision of this work that a few observations had escaped me the publication of which might be considered as passing the bounds of a strict decorm, I immediately ordered that they should be omitted in the present edition ..." "Vide Journal p. 527, 2nd ed."
- 1 print : etching with stipple on laid paper ; sheet 26 x 27.5 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1786.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Boswell, James,--1740-1795.--Journal of a tour to the Hebrides with Samuel Johnson, LL.D.--Illustrations.
Boswell, James,--1740-1795--Caricatures and cartoons.
Collings, Samuel, artist.
Jackson, Elizabeth, fl. 1785-1797, publisher.
Johnson, Samuel,--1709-1784--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 7041 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 196
- Orbis Record