Lodging at M'Queen's [graphic].
- Lodging at M'Queen's [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- Copyright Date
- [20 June 1786]
- Publication Place
- "In a squalid room Johnson and Boswell lie in two short truckle beds. Boswell (right) is in the foreground, his face contorted with horror, his hands before his mouth as if to stifle a scream, his bare feet drawn up, but projecting over the end of his bed. A gigantic spider descends towards his head, insects are spotted over the bedclothes and pillow, from which projects Ogden (see BMSat 7031). Johnson lies on his back (left) under a casement window, his eyes closed, his hands clasped as if in prayer, his knees drawn up to accommodate the shortness of the bed. A woman's dress hangs as an improvised curtain between the two beds. Under Johnson's bed two rats gnaw Boswell's wig."--British Museum online catalogue.
Early state, before "a" inserted between "at" and "M'Queen's" in title. Cf. No. 7044 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6.
Five lines of verse below title: "There were two beds in the room, and a woman's gown was hung on a rope to make a curtain of seperation between them ..." Vide Journal p. 153.
One in a series of twenty plates by Rowlandson after S. Collings. See British Museum catalogue, v. 6, page 345.
Plate from: Picturesque beauties of Boswell, Part the Second. [London] : [E. Jackson], .
Temporary local subject terms: Night clothes -- Spider -- Spider's web -- Nightmare -- Literary quotations.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper ; plate mark 26.8 x 27.7 cm, on sheet 27.7 x 29.7 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1786.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Boswell, James,--1740-1795.--Journal of a tour to the Hebrides with Samuel Johnson, LL.D.--Illustrations.
Boswell, James,--1740-1795--Caricatures and cartoons.
Collings, Samuel, artist.
Jackson, Elizabeth, fl. 1785-1797, publisher.
Johnson, Samuel,--1709-1784--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 196
- Orbis Record