Sailing among the Hebrides [graphic].
- Sailing among the Hebrides [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n50022330
- Published / Created
- 1786 May 15
- Copyright Date
- [15 May 1786]
- Publication Place
- E. Jackson, No. 14 Mary-le-bone Street, Golden Square
- "Three men on the deck of a small sailing-vessel. Boswell, his knees flexed, stands in profile to the left holding the end of a rope and looking at Col, in Highland dress, who holds up his finger admonishingly. His Scots cap flies from his head, his coat-tails blow in the wind, his ink-pot dangles from his neck, his 'Journal' is under his left arm. A sailor (right) stands in back view leaning against the side of the vessel."--British Museum online catalogue.
Four lines of verse below title: "As I saw them all busy doing something, I asked Col. with much earnestness what I could do. He with a happy readiness put into my hand a rope which was fixed to the top of one of the masts ..." Vide Journal p. 349.
One in a series of twenty plates by Rowlandson after S. Collings. See British Museum catalogue, v. 6, page 345.
Plate from: Picturesque beauties of Boswell, Part the Second. [London] : [E. Jackson], 
Temporary local subject terms: Ink pot.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper ; sheet 24.8 x 28 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1786.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Boswell, James,--1740-1795.--Journal of a tour to the Hebrides with Samuel Johnson, LL.D.--Illustrations.
Boswell, James,--1740-1795--Caricatures and cartoons.
Collings, Samuel, artist. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n77006064
Jackson, Elizabeth, fl. 1785-1797, publisher.
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 7048 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 197
- Orbis Record