The contest at Auckinleck [graphic].
- The contest at Auckinleck [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1786 June 10
- Copyright Date
- [10 June 1786]
- Publication Place
- E. Jackson, No. 14 Marylebone Street, Golden Square
- "The interior of a library, the walls lined with heavy folio volumes. Johnson attacks Lord Auchinleck (left) with three books inscribed 'Liturgy', held between his upraised hands which conceal his face. Auchinleck shrinks back in alarm; he has dropped two volumes, 'Calvin' and 'Whiggism', to the floor. Medals lie on the ground. Boswell (right) stands in the doorway behind Johnson, biting his thumbs and gazing upwards in consternation; his 'Journal' falls to the ground. He wears his Scots cap, and his ink-pot dangles from his buttonhole. Auchinleck is an elderly man wearing a judge's wig and bands."--British Museum online catalogue.
Four lines of verse below title: "The context began whilst my father was shewing hima his collection of medals ..." Vide Journal p. 482.
One in a series of twenty plates by Rowlandson after S. Collings. See British Museum catalogue, v. 6, page 345.
Plate from: Picturesque beauties of Boswell, Part the First. [London] : [E. Jackson], 
Temporary local subject terms: Library -- Folio volumes -- Scots cap -- Calvin -- Liturgy.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper ; sheet 25 x 27 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1786.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Boswell, James,--1740-1795.--Journal of a tour to the Hebrides with Samuel Johnson, LL.D.--Illustrations.
Boswell, James,--1740-1795--Caricatures and cartoons.
Collings, Samuel, artist.
Jackson, Elizabeth, fl. 1785-1797, publisher.
Johnson, Samuel,--1709-1784--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 7049 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, pages 197-8
- Orbis Record