Bozzy [graphic] : Madame Piozzi.
- Bozzy [graphic] : Madame Piozzi.
- Alternative Title
- Madame Piozzi
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- Copyright Date
- Publication Place
- "Mrs. Thrale (Piozzi) and Boswell are in heated argument: she (left) advances upon Boswell with her hands on her hips; he stamps violently and clenches his fists. An elderly man seated in an armchair looks at them in alarm, raising his hand in admonition. He is Sir John Hawkins: the 'rival wits' have agreed to let him 'Declare the prop'rest pen to write Sam's Life.' Beside him a 'cello leans against the wall, emblem perhaps of Sir John's interest in music, perhaps of Mrs. Thrale's marriage to Piozzi. Three shelves of books are above his head; the highest is filled with large volumes covered with a cobweb, one inscribed 'History of Musi[c]' ... Behind the two disputants is a draped sash-window. Beneath each part of the title a quotation from the verses is engraved: ' Who, madning with an Anecdotic Itch, Hath said that Johnson call'd his Mother, B-tch?' Boswell taunts Mrs. Thrale with her anecdote of Johnson's answer to his mother when she called him a puppy. ' Who, from Macdonald's Rage, to save his snout, Cut twenty lines of defamation, out?' She retorts with the slander which Boswell denied."--British Museum online catalogue.
Frontispiece to: Pindar, P. Bozzy and Piozzi, or, The British biographers. London : Printed for G. Kearsley ..., 
Printmaker and date from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper ; sheet 19.8 x 25.7 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1786.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Boswell, James,--1740-1795--Caricatures and cartoons.
Hawkins, John,--1719-1789--Caricatures and cartoons.
Piozzi, Hester Lynch,--1741-1821--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 1, no. 7051 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 97
- Orbis Record