The word eater [graphic].
- The word eater [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1788 December 30
- Copyright Date
- [30 December 1788]
- Publication Place
- S. Fores, No. 3 Piccadilly
- "Fox stands in the House of Commons, making a speech; in his right hand he holds out a paper: 'Speech on the 'Rights of the P------'; in his left is an 'Explanation of that Speech'. He faces the table on which are piled large folios: 'Statutes at Large', 'Magna Charta', 'Principles of the Constitution', 'Rights of the People'. He says, "all these I'll devour next". Behind him on the ground are two open books: 'Jus Divinum of Kings' and 'Principles of Toryism &c.' The benches behind him are packed with intent listeners, some dismayed, some admiring. North, a bandage over his eyes, sits on the extreme right, next him is Burke. The end of the gallery (left) is visible; listeners hang over to watch Fox."--British Museum online catalogue.
Attributed to Rowlandson in the British Museum catalogue.
Five lines of text below title: Advertisment extraordinary. This is to inform the public ...
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 24.6 x 35 cm, on sheet 27 x 38 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 3
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1788.
- Subject (Geographic)
- Great Britain--Politics and government--1760-1789.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Burke, Edmund,--1729-1797--Caricatures and cartoons.
Fores, S. W., publisher.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Great Britain.--Parliament.--House of commons.
North, Frederick,--Lord,--1732-1792--Caricatures and cartoons.
Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, artist.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 7391
- Orbis Record