The Pitt fall [graphic].
- The Pitt fall [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Pit fall
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- Copyright Date
- [January 1789?]
- Publication Place
- "Pitt and his followers are in wild pursuit of the crown which soars on widespread wings in the upper right corner of the design. Pitt, reaching up to it, is about to fall over a cliff into the pit of hell, from which flames and smoke are rising. He says, "I'll have thee or perish in the attempt, for my ambition knows no bounds". Richmond falls head first into the pit, saying to two demons who wait for him with extended pitchforks, "Spare me this time and you shall have Coals in future without duty" (an allusion to the 'Richmond shilling'). One answers, "All your Great grandfather's [Charles II's] Whores are waiting dinner for you". Immediately behind Pitt runs Thurlow, his wig falling from his head; he raises the mace in both hands to strike at the flying crown ..."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker and date from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 37.4 x 27.7 cm, on sheet 39.5 x 30.6 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 3
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1789.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Charles--II,--King of England,--1630-1685.
Grafton, Augustus Henry Fitzroy,--Duke of,--1735-1811--Caricatures and cartoons.
Pitt, William,--1759-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Richmond and Lennox, Charles Lennox,--Duke of,--1735-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Thurlow, Edward Thurlow,--Baron,--1731-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 7475 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 243-4
- Orbis Record