Englishmen in November [graphic] ; Frenchmen in November.
- Englishmen in November [graphic] ; Frenchmen in November.
- Alternative Title
- Frenchmen in November.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker, publisher.
- Published / Created
- 1788 May 1
- Copyright Date
- [1 May 1788]
- Publication Place
- T. Rowlandson, No. 50 Poland Street
- "Design in two strips; the upper, eight bored and gloomy Englishmen fidgetting uncomfortably in armchairs, one yawning, one contemplating a dagger with a discarded copy of Goethe's 'Werter' at his feet, another firing a pistol at his jaw; the lower, seven Frenchmen joyously celebrating, one dancing, one setting out to a hunt, another stroking a dog wearing a cape and with its paws in a muff, a fat monk partaking of victuals."--British Museum online catalogue, description of a later state with similar composition.
Cf. Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 392.
For reduced versions of the two images, published in 1790 in Hibernian magazine, see nos. 7764-5 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6.
Plate reissued by S.W. Fores on 25 November 1788.
Printmaker from signature on later state.
Titles etched below each image.
- 1 print : etching with stipple on laid paper, hand-colored ; sheet 44.7 x 62.2 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 3
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record