Going in state to the House of Peers, or, A picture of English magnificence!!! [graphic] : dedicated to Mr. P-tt and his 267 liberal friends / design'd by Meanness ; executed by Venality.
- Going in state to the House of Peers, or, A picture of English magnificence!!! [graphic] : dedicated to Mr. P-tt and his 267 liberal friends / design'd by Meanness ; executed by Venality.
- Alternative Title
- Picture of English magnificence!!!
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1789 February 15
- Copyright Date
- Feby. 15, 1789.
- Publication Place
- William Holland, No. 50 Oxford Street
- "The Prince of Wales, seated in a ramshackle state coach, is drawn (left to right) by eight miserable hacks; the procession is watched by Ministers and others from windows. On the coach door are the Prince's feathers, upside-down. One wheel is broken, the hammer-cloth is ragged; the harness consists partly of rope, partly of chains; the horses are of grotesquely varying sizes and breeds, on one is a saddle. The one dishevelled postilion raises his whip to lash the off-leader, a veritable skeleton, which falls on its knees. The coachman and the two footmen behind the coach are lean and unsuitably dressed. An angry crowd follows the coach ..."--British Museum online catalogue.
Publisher's advertisment below title: In Holland's exhibition rooms may be seen the largest collection in Europe of political and other humorous prints. Admttance [sic] one shilling.
Questionable attribution to Rowlandson in British Museum catalogue and Grego.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper, hand-colored ; sheet 31.3 x 62.3 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 3
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1789.
- Subject (Name)
Amherst, Jeffery Amherst,--Baron,--1717-1797--Caricatures and cartoons.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Chatham, John Pitt,--Earl of,--1756-1835--Caricatures and cartoons.
George--IV,--King of Great Britain,--1762-1830--Caricatures and cartoons.
Grafton, Augustus Henry Fitzroy,--Duke of,--1735-1811--Caricatures and cartoons.
Holland, William, active 1782-1817, publisher.
Hood, Samuel Hood,--Viscount,--1724-1816--Caricatures and cartoons.
La Luzerne, Anne-César,--chevalier de,--1741-1791,--Caricatures and cartoons.
Pitt, William,--1759-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Richmond and Lennox, Charles Lennox,--Duke of,--1735-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Thurlow, Edward Thurlow,--Baron,--1731-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 7507 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 247
- Orbis Record