State butchers [graphic].
- State butchers [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- Copyright Date
- [ca. 1789]
- Publication Place
- "The Prince of Wales lies on his back on an operating-table (cf. BMSat 7512), wearing his feathers as a coronet. Members of the Ministry holding knives surround the Prince; their operations are directed by Pitt, who is seated in a throne-like chair raised above the others. He points with a long wand at the Prince's star, saying to Dundas, "The good Qualities of his heart will certainly ruin our plan therefore cut that out first". Dundas holds a knife, looking up at Pitt, as if to read a paper which he holds out: 'Thanks from the City of London with £50,000'. Next Dundas, and at Pitt's feet, sits Sydney, holding a knife, and looking ferociously at the Prince. In an armchair by the Prince's feet sits Grafton, staring fiercely at the Prince, and holding a knife in each hand. His left foot rests on a basket containing surgeon's tools; a pair of shears and a saw lie beside it. Beside Grafton and on the extreme left stands Richmond, also glaring fiercely at the Prince; he holds a headsman's axe. At the Prince's head, seated with folded arms and closed or lowered eyes is Thurlow (right), his position indicative of his temporizing attitude, see BMSat 7377. The Prince's left arm droops over blank papers, which appear to be intended for some inscription."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker and date from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper ; sheet 27.1 x 37 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 3
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1789.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Dundas, Henry,--1742-1811--Caricatures and cartoons.
George--IV,--King of Great Britain,--1762-1830--Caricatures and cartoons.
Grafton, Augustus Henry Fitzroy,--Duke of,--1735-1811--Caricatures and cartoons.
Pitt, William,--1759-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Richmond and Lennox, Charles Lennox,--Duke of,--1735-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Sydney, Thomas Townshend,--Viscount,--1733-1800--Caricatures and cartoons.
Thurlow, Edward Thurlow,--Baron,--1731-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 7474 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 245-6
- Orbis Record