Dressing for a birthday [graphic] / Rowlandson 1790 ; design'd & etch'd by Thos. Rowlandson.
- Dressing for a birthday [graphic] / Rowlandson 1790 ; design'd & etch'd by Thos. Rowlandson.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1790 April
- Copyright Date
- [April 1790]
- Publication Place
- S. W. Fores, No. 3 Piccadilly
- "A fat and ugly lady (left) and a young and pretty one (right) are being dressed for a Birthday at St. James's. A huge wig decked with feathers and roses is being placed by a maid on the bald head of the elder lady, who stands holding a bouquet and looking in a mirror which reflects a delighted grin. A little black page supports the mirror; he turns to a dog which fawns on him. Another maid fastens in front a false 'derrière', which will distend her dress below the waist, see BMSat 7100, &c. The girl is seated; a friseur dresses her long hair; a man-milliner, 'chapeau-bras', prepares to adjust a 'derrière'; she touches approvingly the dress which an ugly old woman wearing a hat holds out to her. On the floor is a round box containing roses."--British Museum online catalogue.
Companion print to: Dressing for a masquerade.
Reissue, with alteration of date in printmaker's signature and addition of shading and background elements in design. For earlier state published 3 March 1789, see no. 9678 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7.
Temporary local subject terms: Birthday at St. James's Palace -- Female costume: Derrières -- Dressing for St. James's Birthday Ball -- Black page -- Hairdressers: Friseur -- Male milliners -- Feathered female wigs.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching and stipple engraving on wove paper ; plate mark 35.8 x 50.8 cm, on sheet 36.7 x 51.8 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 4
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 272
- Orbis Record