Sutton [graphic] / drawn by Rowlandson ; tinted by Alken.
- Sutton [graphic] / drawn by Rowlandson ; tinted by Alken.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker, artist. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n50022330
- Published / Created
- 1790 June 1
- Copyright Date
- [1 June 1790]
- Publication Place
- Messrs. Robinsons, Paternoster Row
- A coach pulling up to the Post Station, the Cock Inn at left, on route to Brighton. The coach is pulling into the court yard, about to pass under a wooden gate bearing the inn's sign, while another coach stands at the inn door. People look down from the second story windows. A man waits at the mile marker in front of another building at right. In the foreground to left, a man with a wooden leg carries a small child on his back as he leads a donkey that carries a woman and two children, one of whom appears to be nursing, the other in a basket that hangs over the donkey. Their dog follows behind.
First of eight plates to: Wigstead, H. Excursion to Brighthelmstone, made in the year 1789. London : Printed ... for G.G.J. and J. Robinson, 1790.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching and aquatint in sepia on laid paper ; sheet 27.4 x 35 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 4
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
- Subject (Geographic)
- Sutton (England)
- Subject (Name)
Alken, Samuel, 1756-1815, printmaker. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n97864144
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
G. and J. Robinson (Paternoster Row, London, England), publisher. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/no2008158688
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, pages 276-9
- Orbis Record