Crawley [graphic] / drawn by Rowlandson ; tinted by Alken.
- Crawley [graphic] / drawn by Rowlandson ; tinted by Alken.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker, artist. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n50022330
- Published / Created
- 1790 June 1
- Copyright Date
- [1 June 1790]
- Publication Place
- Messrs. Robinsons, Paternoster Row
- A crowd, gathered in the courtyard under the sign of The George Inn on the route to Brighton, examine a horse seemingly under auction; a man in the doorway holds up a hammer. People look out at the scene from the windows of the inn. Two men converse with a woman to the left as her dog looks at the scene; a traveler with a pack and walking stick sits on a stoop to adjust his shoe.
Third of eight plates to: Wigstead, H. An excursion to Brighthelmstone, made in the year 1789. London : Printed ... for G.G.J. and J. Robinson, 1790.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching and aquatint in sepia ; sheet 27.3 x 35 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 4
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
- Subject (Name)
Alken, Samuel, 1756-1815, printmaker. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n97864144
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
G. and J. Robinson (Paternoster Row, London, England), publisher. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/no2008158688
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, pages 276-9
- Orbis Record