Bardolph badger'd, or, The Portland hunt [graphic].
- Bardolph badger'd, or, The Portland hunt [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Bardolph badgered and Portland hunt
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1791 March 22
- Copyright Date
- March 22nd, 1791.
- Publication Place
- S. W. Fores, No. 3 Piccadilly
- "A dog with the head of Sheridan is being chased out of the gate of Devonshire House by the Duke of Portland and other leading whigs. He flees 'To Carlton House', a signpost (left) pointing the way. His collar is inscribed 'G.P.', to his tail is tied a large architectural drawing of Drury Lane, showing the new front to Bridges Street added to Garrick's theatre by R. and J. Adam. The foremost of the pursuers is Portland, about to hurl a stone; Fox follows, holding out his hands pleadingly to the fugitive. Burke holds a club inscribed 'Shelaly', and clenches his fist fiercely. Next him is the short Lord Derby (left), and on the right the Duke of Norfolk. Lord Stormont holds up his hat as if to hurl it. Along the (Piccadilly) wall of Devonshire House broadsides and papers are hung up for sale."--British Museum online catalogue.
Attributed to Rowlandson by Grego.
Temporary local subject terms: Whigs -- London: Devonshire House -- Road signs -- Allusion to Drury Lane Theater -- Allusion to Carlton House.
Titles etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper, hand-colored ; sheet 28 x 43 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 4
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
- Satires (Visual works)--England--1791.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Burke, Edmund,--1729-1797--Caricatures and cartoons.
Derby, Edward Smith Stanley,--Earl of,--1752-1834--Caricatures and cartoons.
Fores, S. W., publisher.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Mansfield, David Murray,--Earl of,--1727-1796--Caricatures and cartoons.
Norfolk, Charles Howard,--Duke of,--1746-1815--Caricatures and cartoons.
Portland, William Henry Cavendish-Bentinck,--Duke of,--1738-1809--Caricatures and cartoons.
Sheridan, Richard Brinsley,--1751-1816--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 6, no. 7837 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, pages 289-90
- Orbis Record