English barracks [graphic] / drawn & etch'd by T. Rowlandson ; aquatinta by T. Malton.
- English barracks [graphic] / drawn & etch'd by T. Rowlandson ; aquatinta by T. Malton.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1791 August 12
- Copyright Date
- [12 August 1791]
- Publication Place
- S. W. Fores, No. 3 Piccadilly
- A view of the interior of a busy English barracks shows a more domestic than military atmosphere although weapons and other gear adorn the walls and lay scattered on the floor. The scene includes a woman nursing a baby (left); beside her, one soldier brushes his britches while another adjusts his helmet. A second woman (center) carries a child on her back as she hands a drink to a soldier who sits on a bunk; a basket of rolls (?) hangs from her arm. A third woman (left) stands at a washing tub wringing out clothes as she looks up approvingly at a young boy dressed as a soldier; beside her a handsome, well-dressed solder holds a baby who smiles at the scene.
Companion print to: French barracks.
Not in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching and aquatint on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 41.5 x 52.9 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 4
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1791.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Fores, S. W., publisher.
Great Britain.--Army--Barracks and quarters--Caricatures and cartoons.
Malton, Thomas, 1748-1804, printmaker.
Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, artist.
- Subject (Topic)
Arms & armament.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 295
- Orbis Record