French barracks [graphic] / drawn & etchd. by T. Rowlandson ; aquatinta by T. Malton.
- French barracks [graphic] / drawn & etchd. by T. Rowlandson ; aquatinta by T. Malton.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n50022330
- Published / Created
- 1791 August 12
- Copyright Date
- [12 August 1791]
- Publication Place
- S. W. Fores, No. 3 Piccadilly
- A view of the interior of a busy French barracks shows a more domestic than military atmosphere although weapons and other gear adorn the walls and lay scattered on the floor. The scene includes a woman nursing a baby (right) as another child plays at her feet. Beside her another woman holds up a mirror so that an officer can admire his reflection from both the front and back. A third woman (left) cuts an officers toe nails as a barber dresses his long queue; another officer has his hair powdered. In the background a man in his night shirt sits on the side of his bed as he stretches his arms and yawns.
Companion print to: English barracks.
Not in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching and aquatint, hand-colored ; sheet 41.9 x 54 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 4
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1791.
- Subject (Geographic)
- France--Foreign opinion, British.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Fores, S. W., publisher. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n97860707
France.--Armée--Barracks and quarters--Caricatures and cartoons.
Malton, Thomas, 1748-1804, printmaker. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/nr93023172
Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, artist. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n50022330
- Subject (Topic)
Arms & armament.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 295
- Orbis Record