The dead alive! [graphic] / H. Wigstead 1784.
- The dead alive! [graphic] / H. Wigstead 1784.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1795 July
- Copyright Date
- July 1795.
- Publication Place
- Willm. Holland, N. 50, Oxford Street
- "A couple embracing on a couch at right are interrupted by the appearance at left of a grotesque, stout, bespectacled woman holding up a groaning moribund man wearing a shroud-like nightshirt; the young lover has his hand on a paper lettered 'last will & testament of Mr Gripe' hanging over the lid of an open money-chest, full of bags which spill onto the floor, some inscribed with sums of money, one with 'Mortgage on -'; a large, ornately framed picture of a stern man in Tudor costume on the wall behind at right, bust of a bearded man on a window-ledge at centre."--British Museum online catalogue.
"Plate 2."--Lower right corner.
Attributed to Rowlandson by Grego.
Not in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching and aquatint with stipple on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 29 x 37.2 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 4
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 390
- Orbis Record