A theatrical candidate [graphic].
- A theatrical candidate [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- Copyright Date
- Publication Place
- "An actor, ugly and ragged, stands gesticulating, the left arm extended towards Sheridan, who sits in a low chair (right) before a small rectangular table. He fixes Sheridan with a hungry glare, clutching a small cocked hat in his right hand ... In the upper right corner of the design is a quotation from 'Hamlet', III. ii, beginning 'Oh, there be Players', and ending, 'they imitated humanity so abominably'."--British Museum online catalogue.
Possibly published by Fores, whose publisher's stamp is on the Lewis Walpole Library impression.
Printmaker and date from Grego.
Temporary local subject terms: Actors -- Auditions.
Title etched below image.
Twelve lines of text below title: A candidate for the stage lately applied to the manager of Drury-Lane Theatre for an engagement ...
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 35.3 x 25 cm, on sheet 36 x 26 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 4
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Booksellers' stamps (Provenance)--S. W. Fores.--CtY-LW
Satires (Visual works)--England--1797.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Fores, S. W., publisher.
Sheridan, Richard Brinsley,--1751-1816--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9086 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 330
- Orbis Record