An extraordinary scene on the road from London to Portsmouth, or, An instance of unexampled speed used by a body of guards ... [graphic] / Rowlandson delin. ; Schutz sculp.
- An extraordinary scene on the road from London to Portsmouth, or, An instance of unexampled speed used by a body of guards ... [graphic] / Rowlandson delin. ; Schutz sculp.
- Alternative Title
- Instance of unexampled speed used by a body of guards
- Schütz, Heinrich Joseph, 1760-1822, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1798 July 12
- Copyright Date
- [12 July 1798]
- Publication Place
- Ackermann's Gallery, No. 101 Strand
- "Troops, crowded in carts, &c, approach Portsmouth, where distant ships are at anchor. In the foreground are country carts drawn by soldiers at a gallop. Other soldiers are in and on a coach, the 'Portsmouth Fly'; a drum and fife are being played on the roof; large flags float from the windows. This is followed by officers in a perch phaeton. Young women take leave of soldiers. A drummer gallops on a donkey with a young bandsman in each pannier. In the middle distance, besides other vehicles, are two of the new four-horsed conveyances for soldiers, who sit as in an Irish jaunting-car, see BMSat 9238. In the foreground (right) is the corner of a small thatched ale-house, 'The Jolly Soldier'. An old soldier with a wooden leg sits fiddling at the door, while the host and his family wave farewell."--British Museum online catalogue.
Title etched below image.
Two lines of text below title: ... consisting of 1920 rank & file, besides officers, who on the 10th of June, 1798, left London ...
- 1 print : etching and aquatint on laid paper, hand-colored ; sheet 45 x 58 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 4
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9234 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 349
- Orbis Record