The morning news [graphic] / H. Bunbury del.
- The morning news [graphic] / H. Bunbury del.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1799]
- Copyright Date
- [between 1800 and 1827]
- Publication Place
- "A group of men standing outside an inn with the sign of the 'Bugle horn'. One, wearing a broad-brimmed hat, holds in his left hand a paper inscribed 'Courier / Dispatch [?]... / Stocks'. His right forefinger is extended as if laying down the law to his companions. On his right stands a man holding his chin with an expression of deep thought. Next to him (left) is an artisan, listening intently, his breeches unfastened at the knee, his stockings ungartered; he holds a short hammer and is probably a shoemaker. Behind (right) a man wearing a waistcoat over a ruffled shirt, but no coat, lounges against the stump of a tree and listens open-mouthed. On the top of the stump is an open dish of food which a dog is eating."--British Museum online catalogue.
Copy of a plate originally published in 1772. Cf. No. 5086 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 5.
Four lines of verse in two columns below title: The rabble gather round the man of news ...
Printmaker and date range for publication from British Museum online catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 16.2 x 19.5 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 5
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record