Buy my goose, my fat goose [graphic] / Rowlandson delin. ; Merke sculp.
- Buy my goose, my fat goose [graphic] / Rowlandson delin. ; Merke sculp.
- Alternative Title
- Cries of London ; no. 2
- Merke, Henri, printmaker. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/no2010193827
- Published / Created
- 1799 January 1
- Copyright Date
- [1 January 1799]
- Publication Place
- R. Ackermann's, 101 Strand
- "A fat man stands at the door of a house chaffering with an elderly couple (left). In each hand he holds a goose by the neck. The woman holds up a third goose to her nose, with an expression of suspicious anger; her husband sniffs at it and holds out both hands in protest. The goose-vendor resembles a countryman, and wears a white apron and short gaiters. On the ground is his large basket covered with a white cloth. The house is a comer one, with a carved doorway over which is a pestle and mortar to show that it belongs to an apothecary. Behind are handsome Queen Anne or early Georgian houses; a hackney coach drives off (right)."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below series title and number.
- 1 print : etching with aquatint on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 37.5 x 29 cm, on sheet 49 x 31 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 6
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1799.
- Subject (Name)
Ackermann, Rudolph, 1764-1834, publisher. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n97872468
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, artist. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n50022330
- Subject (Topic)
Carriages & coaches.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9475 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 354
- Orbis Record