Last dying speech & confession [graphic] / Rowlandson delin. ; Merke sculp.
- Last dying speech & confession [graphic] / Rowlandson delin. ; Merke sculp.
- Alternative Title
- Cries of London ; no. 3 and Last dying speech and confession
- Merke, Henri, printmaker. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/no2010193827
- Published / Created
- 1799 February 20
- Copyright Date
- [20 February 1799]
- Publication Place
- R. Ackermann's, 101 Strand
- "A stout and ragged woman, typical of St. Giles, bawls her broadsides inscribed: 'Last Dying Speech and Confession of the unfortunate Malefactors who were executed this Morning'. She stands full-face, one hand to her cheek, a pouch suspended from her neck hangs over her apron. She wears a cloak, and one foot is bare. Behind her is the corner of a house; in the doorway stands a young woman holding an infant; a little boy beside her looks up at the bawling woman, as does a dog. In the middle distance a little boy takes a handkerchief from a pedestrian's pocket. Behind (right) are houses."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below series title and number.
- 1 print : etching with aquatint on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 36.2 x 30 cm, on sheet 49 x 31 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 6
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1799.
- Subject (Name)
Ackermann, Rudolph, 1764-1834, publisher. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n97872468
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, artist. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n50022330
- Subject (Topic)
City & town life.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9476 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 354
- Orbis Record