Steward [graphic] / Woodward del. ; etched by Rowlandson.
- Steward [graphic] / Woodward del. ; etched by Rowlandson.
- Alternative Title
- Country characters ; no. 10
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- [1799 August 30]
- Copyright Date
- [10 September 1799]
- Publication Place
- R. Ackerman, no. 101 Strand
- "The steward, in night-cap and slippers, sits (left) in his office, looking up with stern suspicion at a yokel in a long smock who scratches his head, saying, "Donna look so Glum your Honor - I would pay my Rent un I could but consider what a Nation bad hay time it has been." A 'Survey of the Estate', books (List of 'Tenan[ts]') are on the wall; writing-materials on a small table, on which is a 'Rental'."--British Museum online catalogue description of alternate state.
Date based on alternate state. See The Lewis Walpole Library, call no. 799.09.10.04.
Series title and number etched above image.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 24.3 x 19.4 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 6
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1799.
- Subject (Name)
Ackermann, Rudolph, 1764-1834, publisher.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Woodward, G. M. (George Moutard), approximately 1760-1809, artist.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 14
- Orbis Record