A bankrupt cart, or, The road to ruin in the east! [graphic] / Woodward delt. ; etched by Rowlandson.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > A bankrupt cart, or, The road to ruin in the east! [graphic] / Woodward delt. ; etched by Rowlandson.
- A bankrupt cart, or, The road to ruin in the east! [graphic] / Woodward delt. ; etched by Rowlandson.
- Alternative Title
- Road to ruin in the east
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1799 November 5
- Copyright Date
- November 5, 1799.
- Publication Place
- R. Ackerman, no. 101 Strand
"A plebeian family of 'cits' drive in a rough two-wheeled cart (aping a fashionable gig) drawn by a clumsy carthorse. The man drives, wearing cocked hat and top-boots; his wife, wearing large feathers in her small straw cap, holds up a fan. Both are absurdly complacent. A boy and girl are crammed in. Behind rides a fat and grinning footman, with plodding dog. On the extreme right a newsboy with the 'London Gazette' blows his horn. Behind (left) is an open doorway inscribed 'Mash Brewer'; within are casks. The wall is inscribed 'Puddle Dock', and on it are two bills: 'Theatre Royal Covent Garden the Comedy of the Bankrupt with High Life Below Stairs and A House to be let in Grosvenor Square Suitable for a Genteel Family' (they appear to be bound for this house). Houses form a background."--British Museum online catalogue.
Temporary local subject terms: 'Cits' -- Vehicles: carts -- Breweries -- Mash-- Newspapers: London Gazette -- Newsboys -- Reference to Theatre Royal, Covent Garden -- Literature: reference to High Life Below Stairs by James Townley (1714-1778) -- Reference to The Bankrupt by Samuel Foote ( 1720-1777) -- Grosvenor Square -- Puddle Dock -- Female dress: plumed hats -- Expressions of speech: 'road to ruin'.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper ; sheet 24.4 x 36.6 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 6
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9466
Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 370
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)