A fashionable suit! [graphic] / Woodward del. ; etched by Rowlandson.
- A fashionable suit! [graphic] / Woodward del. ; etched by Rowlandson.
- Alternative Title
- Matrimonial comforts ; sketch 6
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- [1 October 1799]
- A satire on the new fashion of Jean Debry coats: A tailor holds a mirror to a customer who looks at his image with horror. The customer complains that he has put a hump upon each shoulder. The tailor replies that the coat has been made to his wife's specifications.
Earlier state described by Joseph Grego in Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 15.
Earlier state, with imprint. Cf. No. 9625 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7.
Series title and number etched above print.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 21.6 x 19.3 cm, on sheet 27 x 21 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 7
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1799.
- Subject (Name)
Ackermann, Rudolph, 1764-1834, publisher.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Woodward, G. M. (George Moutard), approximately 1760-1809, artist.
- Subject (Topic)
Clothing & dress--England--1790-1800.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record