Washing day [graphic] / Woodward del. ; etchd. by Rowlandson.
- Washing day [graphic] / Woodward del. ; etchd. by Rowlandson.
- Alternative Title
- Matrimonial comforts ; sketch 7
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- [1 October 1799]
- "A man in hat, long coat, and boots (and wearing spectacles), grasps his friend's hand with a smile. The host, ugly and angry, says: "Ah! my old Friend I wish you had called at some more convenient time but this is washing day - I have nothing to give you but cold Fish, cold tripe & cold potatoes - you may smell soap suds a mile! Ah Jack - Jack you dont know these Comforts! you are a Bachelor!" Behind (left), two women stand at a wash-tub"--British Museum online catalogue.
Earlier state of the print described in: Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 16.
Earlier state with date in imprint. Cf. No. 9626 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7.
Series title and number etched above image.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 21.5 x 19.3 cm, on sheet 27 x 21 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 7
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1799.
- Subject (Name)
Ackermann, Rudolph, 1764-1834, publisher.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Woodward, G. M. (George Moutard), approximately 1760-1809, artist.
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record