A curtain lecture! [graphic] / Woodward del. ; etched by Rowlandson.
- A curtain lecture! [graphic] / Woodward del. ; etched by Rowlandson.
- Alternative Title
- Matrimonial comforts ; sketch 8
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- [1 October 1799]
- A man lies on his back in bed, his face set in grim resignation, as his wife leans over him lecturing him, "Yes you base man --you dont you eat drink and sleep comfortably at home and still you must be jaunting abroad every nigth. I'll find out your intrigues-- you may depend upon it." A small dog sits at the foot of the bed yelping at the couple while a larger dog sleeps on the floor, his eyes squeezed shut.
Earlier state of print described in: Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 16.
Earlier state, with date in publication line. Cf. No. 9627 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7.
Series title and number etched above image.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 21.8 x 19.4 cm, on sheet 27 x 21 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 7
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1799.
- Subject (Name)
Ackermann, Rudolph, 1764-1834, publisher.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Woodward, G. M. (George Moutard), approximately 1760-1809, artist.
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record