Desire [graphic] / Woodward del. ; etched by Rowlandson.
- Desire [graphic] / Woodward del. ; etched by Rowlandson.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- [21 Feburary 1800]
- A pretty, young woman (right) sleeps, head in profile to the left, leaning against the back of a chair. An elderly man leans towards her, inspecting her avidly through his quizzing glass. The figures (three-quarter length) are cut off by the side margins. Beneath the design: Female attraction is frequently the cause of this passion, as above represented in the delineation of the Old Beau, & the sleeping Lady.
Plate numbered 'No. 7' in upper right corner.
Publisher's stamp 'RA' in lower right corner of design.
Seventh plate in a series of twenty without letterpress: Le Brun travested, or, Caricatures of the passions / design'd by G.M. Woodward and etch'd by T. Rowlandson. London : Pubd. 21 Jany. 1800 at R. Ackermann''s Repository of Arts, 101 Strand.
Title engraved above image.
Two lines of text below image: Female attraction is frequently the cause of this passion, as above represented in the delineation of the old beau & the sleeping lady.
- 1 print : etching with stipple on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 27.3 x 22.2 cm, on sheet 29 x 23 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 7
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1800.
- Subject (Name)
Ackermann, Rudolph, 1764-1834, publisher.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Woodward, G. M. (George Moutard), approximately 1760-1809, artist.
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9629 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 1
- Orbis Record