Opinions on the divorce bill!! / Woodward del. ; etch'd by Rowlandson.
- Opinions on the divorce bill!! / Woodward del. ; etch'd by Rowlandson.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- [2 June 1800]
- "Design in two strips showing twelve characters commenting on the Divorce Bill; an old scholar: 'There were many salutary laws on this subject amongst the Medes and Persians.', a black woman: 'What a hardship on the fair sex!', a thin, bent over man with a stick: 'Ay - and on the gay seducers too!', a weeping woman: 'The only comfort I had left!', a naive young girl: 'I must be married to know what they mean by it.', a weighty fellow: 'It cant be help'd - I have had my day!', an ugly but fashionable woman: 'Not to marry - the seducer of one's heart! was ever any thing so barbarous.', an officer: 'By St Patrick - this is the greatest cut, the cloth ever experienced.', a handsome woman: 'The beaus will absolutely run away from us.', a solid woman with a large muff: 'It is enough to make vone vicked, vether vone vill or not!', a thin man with pursed expression: 'The sums that I expected to clear by my wifes infidelity!', an alarmed cleric: 'Avoid temptation - the best of us may sometimes err!'."--British Museum online catalogue.
Not in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on laid paper, hand-colored ; sheet 33.7 x 44.5 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 7
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record