Battleorum [graphic] ; Billingsgatina ; Trafficorum.
- Battleorum [graphic] ; Billingsgatina ; Trafficorum.
- Alternative Title
- Billingsgatina. and Trafficorum.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- [15 August 1800]
- "BATTLEORUM: The head of an officer scowling angrily; he wears cocked hat and gorget. From his shoulders are suspended chain-shot, pistols, and bandolier. Below are kettle-drum, cartouche-box, musket, sword, and bayonet. BILLINGSGATINA: A buxom and comely fish-wife shouting her wares. A chain of eels, lobster, crab reaches a basket in which are oysters and large fish. The above two heads were closely copied, c. 1815, as a French caricature (title 'Caricature Angloise. N° 5') of Napoleon: 'Mons. va de bon-Cœur Caporale', and 'Mme Esturgion.' TRAFFICORUM: The head of a bearded Jew, wearing a hat, calling his wares with a cunning side-glance. These are draped from his shoulders and rest upon an open pedlar's box filled with scissors, spectacles, razors, spoons, purses, knives, rosaries, seals, a watch."--British Museum online catalogue.
Plate numbered 'No. 5' in upper right corner.
Printmaker from Grego.
Temporary local subject terms: Military officers -- Trades: fish-wives -- Pedlars -- Weapons -- Pistol -- Bandolier -- Musket -- Cartouche-box -- Sword -- Bayonet -- Food -- Eels -- Lobster -- Oysters -- Fish -- Crabs -- Jews -- Pedlars' wares -- Pedlars' boxes.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 27.2 x 37.5 cm, on sheet 32 x 44 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 7
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9620 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 12
- Orbis Record