The Brilliants [graphic] / Rowlandson delin.
- The Brilliants [graphic] / Rowlandson delin.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, artist.
- Copyright Date
- [15 January 1801]
- "A drunken orgy by the members of a convivial club, grouped round an oblong table in a dignified room, which suggests a fashionable society. The chairman (left) with raised hammer gives a toast which is drunk sitting. Most are jovial, three are vomiting, one over a prostrate member. An elderly man protests angrily; his neighbour tries to make him sit down. The room is lit by a chandelier hanging from an ornate ceiling. A servant draws a cork, another enters with a punchbowl from behind a screen (right). Bottles stand in a magnificent wine-cooler, round which empty bottles are massed. The members' hats are piled on an ornate chimney-piece; a Jew reaches over a low screen to take a hat, unaware hat a member has risen to denounce him. This screen is in front of a 'Ballotin Box', with two round apertures inscribed 'Nay' and 'yea'. On the wall (left) is a placard: 'Rules to be observed in this Society, Ist That each Member shall fill a half pint Bumper to the first Toast. 2nd That after Twenty four Bumper toasts are gone round, every [sic] may fill as he pleases. 3 That any Member refusing to comply with the above Regulations to be fine a bumper of Salt & Water'."--British Museum online catalogue.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching and aquatint on wove paper ; sheet 44.9 x 57 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 7
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1801.
- Subject (Name)
Ackermann, Rudolph, 1764-1834, publisher.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
- Subject (Topic)
Eating & drinking.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 9784 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 23
- Orbis Record