Poll of Plymouth's prayer [graphic] / Woodward del. ; Rowlandson scul.
- Poll of Plymouth's prayer [graphic] / Woodward del. ; Rowlandson scul.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- [20 September 1801]
- "A buxom young woman, wearing a straw bonnet and many trinkets, including a miniature, kneels at a chair in profile to the right. Behind her on a table are a punch-bowl, spirit decanter, glasses, and a long pipe; above it is a framed picture of a man-of-war. She prays to Thetis 'from the sign of the Punch-Bowl' for protection to her favourite sailors, now at sea, 'all generous fellows, and bleed freely'. She asks to be enabled to redeem her pawned trinkets, so that she may 'appear lovely in the eyes of the whole fleet'."--British Museum online catalogue.
Title printed in letterpress below plate line.
Two paragraphs of letterpress text below title: Charming Thetis, thou who blushest not at sleeping with the sun ...
- 1 print : etching and drypoint on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 20.3 x 25 cm, on sheet 50 x 28.4 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 7
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1801.
- Subject (Name)
Ackermann, Rudolph, 1764-1834, publisher.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Woodward, G. M. (George Moutard), approximately 1760-1809, artist.
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 9802 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 32
- Orbis Record