The lottery office keeper's prayer!! [graphic] / Woodward del. ; etchd. by Rowlandson.
- The lottery office keeper's prayer!! [graphic] / Woodward del. ; etchd. by Rowlandson.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- "A man, fashionably dressed and vulgar, kneels on one knee, praying to a large framed picture of Fortune. She stands blindfolded on her wheel, empties coins and notes from a cornucopia, and holds out a placard: 'Peter Puffs Lucky Lottery Office'. He begs 'Insurance to my Schemes, so that they may turn up Prizes, and prevent my looking Blank when bowing at thy Altar', and, inter alia, that all old women and children may dream incessantly of the lottery, so shall the nocturnal Visions of old Chairs and Tables be converted into lucky Numbers...'"--British Museum online catalogue.
Four paragraphs of letterpress text below title: Kind and benignant fortune! Aid an adventurer prostrate before thy shrine, ...
Printer's statement from more perfect impression in the British Museum catalogue.
Publisher and date from British Museum catalogue.
Title printed in letterpress below plate line.
- 1 print : etching and drypoint on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 42.7 x 24.8 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 7
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1801.
- Subject (Name)
Ackermann, Rudolph, 1764-1834, publisher.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Woodward, G. M. (George Moutard), approximately 1760-1809, artist.
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 9803
- Orbis Record