Quarterly dunns, or, Clamorous tax gatherers [graphic].
- Quarterly dunns, or, Clamorous tax gatherers [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Clamorous tax gatherers
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- [3 February 1805]
- "Three tax-collectors beset a house door, on which is a plate: 'Doctor Humbug', and above: 'Advice Gratis.' An elderly man holds the knocker, a ring in a lion's mouth, and looks up at the window above where two heads peer out: a grotesque aged couple wearing nightcaps. On the lintel stands a pestle and mortar, inscribed 'Hippocrates.' On the house are two bills: 'The Goodwill of this House to be disposed of for Particulars enquire' - and 'The Budget opened or how to raise the Wind for the Year 1805.' The tax-collector holds a large open book: 'Window Tax Income Property House Tax'; under his arm is another book;..'Tax-Servants-Horses.' Papers inscribed 'Tax' and 'Taxes' project from his coat-pocket. Beside him, a man holding a paper points his pen viciously at the open window. A third man stands close behind holding a large book inscribed 'Dog Tax.' On the extreme left a woman carrying an infant begs, looking up at the window; a little boy beside her holds out his hat for alms to the tax-collector. On the right a fat man gapes up at the window while a little boy picks his pocket of a hankerchief. The house is at a corner, and from its wall a lamp with oil, spilling it on the people below. In the background (right) are tall, old-fashioned houses, all the windows, except in the top floor and attics, are 'Block'd Up'; one is 'To Lett.'"--British Museum catalogue.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper ; sheet 35 x 24.8 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 8
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 10367 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist v. 2, page 49
- Orbis Record