[A maiden aunt smelling fire] [graphic] / Rowlandson 1806.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > [A maiden aunt smelling fire] [graphic] / Rowlandson 1806.
- [A maiden aunt smelling fire] [graphic] / Rowlandson 1806.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker, publisher.
- Copyright Date
- [1 May 1806]
"A grotesque old maid having woken at night, the open door of her bedroom behind at left, approaching the foot of a staircase with a candle, only partly dressed and with her bosom hanging outside her dress, led on by a cat; above at left, the young niece appearing at her own bedroom door as if only just awake, her lover escaping in his nightshirt up the stairs at right; at the foot of the stairs, a paper lettered 'Old maids are doomed to lead apes in hell'."--British Museum online catalogue.
Not in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires.
Title, printmaker and imprint from Grego.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 30.1 x 23 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 8
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 58
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)