A diving machine on a new construction [graphic].
- A diving machine on a new construction [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker, publisher.
- Copyright Date
- [31 May 1806]
- "Fox, in a diver's dress which leaves his face and hands bare, stands on the bed of the ocean, speaking, through a tube inscribed 'Haul up', to his assistants in a boat; these haul on a pulley attached to the mast of the boat, but cut off by the upper margin. Fox has fastened the rope to a chest inscribed '10 Per Cent'; this, with an anchor inscribed 'Pig Iron' and three barrels, one inscribed 'Beer Tax', lies on the ocean bed. He turns his back on the dead body of John Bull, lying on his back, beside the wrecked hull of the 'Constitution Cutter - John Bull commander (whose cargo he is seizing); only the top of the mast projects above the surface of the 'Ocean of Taxation'; on this a carrion bird perches, another flies towards it. The boat from which Fox has descended is 'The Experiment'; in it are salvaged money-bags inscribed '10 Pr Cent'; its crew are (l. to r.), Windham (?), Sheridan, Erskine, and Petty."--British Museum online catalogue.
Attributed to Rowlandson by Grego.
Title etched below image.
Year of publication from British Museum catalogue.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 24.1 x 35 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 8
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1806.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Erskine, Thomas Erskine,--Baron,--1750-1823--Caricatures and cartoons.
Fox, Charles James,--1749-1806--Caricatures and cartoons.
Lansdowne, Henry Petty-Fitzmaurice,--Marquess of,--1780-1863--Caricatures and cartoons.
Sheridan, Richard Brinsley,--1751-1816--Caricatures and cartoons.
Windham, William,--1750-1810--Caricatures and cartoons.
- Subject (Topic)
John Bull (Symbolic character)--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 10573 and Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 1, page 60
- Orbis Record