Mrs. Showwell [graphic] / 1807.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Mrs. Showwell [graphic] / 1807.
- Mrs. Showwell [graphic] / 1807.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Nixon, John, -1818, artist.
- Copyright Date
"Below the title: 'The Woman who shews General Guise collection of Pictures at Oxford'. She stands directed to the left., holding a pointer with which she slyly points to a picture of Suzanna and the Elders. She is old and grotesquely ugly, wearing a hat over a frilled cap, an apron, and bunched-up skirt. Her left hand is on her hip, a large key dangling from the fourth finger. A corner of the room is shown, the pictures fitted closely together; three rows are depicted, hung above a dado; a fourth is indicated. The pictures are very freely drawn, and one at least is burlesqued."--British Museum online catalogue, description of alternate state.
Attributed to Rowlandson by Grego.
Initials burnished from plate: JN (John Nixon).
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper ; sheet 18.6 x 14 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 8
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 10786
Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 66
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)