The learned Scotchman, or, Magistrates mistake!! [graphic] / Woodward del. ; Rowlandson scul.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > The learned Scotchman, or, Magistrates mistake!! [graphic] / Woodward del. ; Rowlandson scul.
- The learned Scotchman, or, Magistrates mistake!! [graphic] / Woodward del. ; Rowlandson scul.
- Alternative Title
- Magistrates mistake
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- 15th Decr. 1807.
"A gouty 'cit' (right), using an ear-trumpet, sits in an arm-chair facing a delinquent in Highland dress, who bows low. One swathed leg rests on a stool, on the other foot is a slashed shoe. At his right hand is a table with writing-materials; on the other side of this sits a bedizened wife, holding a fan against her hideous profile. Behind the Scot stands a fat constable holding a long staff. The Scot: "I own your Worship-- I was a little inebriated but your Worship knaws "Nemo Mortatium [sic]-- Omnibus / "Hooris Saupit [horis sapit]!!" The Justice: "What's that you say fellow about Whores in a Saw Pit--a very improper place to go with such company--I wonder you are not ashamed to mention such a thing and before my Wife too!!--but however as it is your first offence I will discharge you this time--but never come here with such a story again!!"."--British Museum online catalogue, description of a later state.
"Price one shilling coloud."
Cf. Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 236.
For a reissue with date burnished from end of imprint statement and plate number changed, see no. 11971 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 9.
Plate numbered "33" in upper left.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 24.2 x 33.8 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 8
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1807.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Tegg, Thomas, 1776-1845, publisher.
Woodward, G. M. (George Moutard), approximately 1760-1809, artist.
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)