From the desk to the throne [graphic] : a new quick step by Joseph Bonaparte, the bass by Messrs. Nappy and Tally / G. Sauler Farnham.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > From the desk to the throne [graphic] : a new quick step by Joseph Bonaparte, the bass by Messrs. Nappy and Tally / G. Sauler Farnham.
- From the desk to the throne [graphic] : a new quick step by Joseph Bonaparte, the bass by Messrs. Nappy and Tally / G. Sauler Farnham.
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1808 August 18
- Copyright Date
- [18 August 1808]
- Publication Place
- R. Ackermann, no. 101 Strand
"Joseph, neatly dressed as an avocat, takes an enormous step from the rail of a desk (right) on which his right toe is poised to a wall 'Map of Spain & Portugal' on a level with his shoulders, where his left toe touches 'Madrid'. His hands are raised above his head to clutch at a mass of fringed cushions on which is the crown of 'Spain', with a sceptre. On the wall is pinned a notice: 'Notary Public Bayonne'. Four clerks sit facing each other at the desk he has left, which has double slopes, divided by the low rail from which he steps. One asks: "Why Joseph wither art thou going"; he looks down answer: "Whither - but to fill my high destiny? And like my noble Brother Sway tne Sceptre of another." The other clerks say respectively: "But proverbs tell of many Slips, Between the tankard & the lips, And really I am apt to give, The proverb credit as I live" and "He must needs go whom the Devil drives and should it cost his Neck; Ownds! what a prodigious step for a Notary's clerk"."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 38.1 x 26.5 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1808.
Watermarks (Paper)--J. Whatman.--CtY-BR
- Subject (Name)
Ackermann, Rudolph, 1764-1834, publisher.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Joseph Bonaparte,--King of Spain,--1768-1844--Caricatures and cartoons.
Napoleon--I,--Emperor of the French,--1769-1821.
Talleyrand-Périgord, Charles Maurice de,--prince de Bénévent,--1754-1838.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 11011
Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, pages 95-6
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)