More miseries [graphic] : page 118 / Rowlandson fecit.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > More miseries [graphic] : page 118 / Rowlandson fecit.
- More miseries [graphic] : page 118 / Rowlandson fecit.
- Alternative Title
- Being persuaded to put your finger into the cage of a parrot ...
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
Ackermann, Rudolph, 1764-1834, publisher.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
- Published / Created
- 1807 April 1
- Copyright Date
- [1 April 1807]
- Publication Place
- R. Ackermann, Repository of the Arts, 101 Strand
"An ugly man staggers back, his finger in the beak of a parrot which stands on the open door of its cage which is about to fall from a toppling table. A cat claws at his leg. Two ladies, excited and pleased, watch the calamity, as do a military officer and a woman standing by the door (left). The room is a handsome one with pilastered door, and a large window (right) giving on a garden."--British Museum online catalogue.
One of a group of prints on the topic of "miseries," etched by Rowlandson and issued in several series by Ackermann, that were later collected and published as the volume: Rowlandson, T. Miseries of human life. [London] : Published December 14, 1808, by R. Ackermann ..., . See British Museum catalogue and Grego.
Text below title: Being persuaded to put your finger into the cage of a parrot and to rub his pole, upon an assurance from its doating mistress that it is the most gentle bird in the universe, suddenly feeling the sanguinary effects of its beak.
Title etched above image; page number etched above upper right corner of image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 11 x 17.1 cm, on sheet 16.1 x 24.6 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 9
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 10852
Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, page 123
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)