The champion of Oakhampton attacking the hydra of Gloucester Place [graphic].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > The champion of Oakhampton attacking the hydra of Gloucester Place [graphic].
- The champion of Oakhampton attacking the hydra of Gloucester Place [graphic].
- Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- [15 March 1809]
"Wardle in armour with plumed helmet and floating cloak attacks with sword and shield a hydra with seven heads, all in profile, each wearing an inscribed collar. The principal head is that of the Duke of York (a flattering portrait), wearing The Collar of Corruption. The others are Bowler, Clarke, O Meara, Master Carter [the smallest], Sandon, Dr Donovan [with a pen behind his ear]. A serpent lies beside the hydra. Behind is the mouth of a cave. Below the title: Bellva Multorum es Capitum!! vide Horace [Epistles, 1. i. 76]. ('Thou art the Beast of many heads.')"--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored; plate mark 24.5 x 35.1 cm, on sheet 26 x 40 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Rowlandson v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1809.
Watermarks (Paper)--E & P.--CtY-BR
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Clarke, Mary Anne Thompson,--1776-1852--Caricatures and cartoons.
Frederick Augustus,--Prince, Duke of York and Albany,--1763-1827--Caricatures and cartoons.
Tegg, Thomas, 1776-1845, publisher.
Wardle, Gwyllym Lloyd,--1762?-1833--Caricatures and cartoons.
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 11253
Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, v. 2, pages 153-4
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)